Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 12:47:12PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Right.  The only case where a shutdown script makes sense to me is if it's
> doing something other than sending signals or if it's waiting
> (intelligently, not just blindly for five seconds) for the process to shut
> down cleanly.

So the only question is how many scripts _should_ wait but currently get
away without waiting because the shutdown sequence takes so long. IMHO
if a daemon does not write anything to disk except maybe log messages
then it should be fine without a shutdown script, but everything else
should have one.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences