Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

[Joey Hess]
> Why is this extension not available in our update-rc.d? As a bonus
> it could stop at sequence number 80 too so we could transition to a
> better order for runlevel 1.

I have not invested much time to implement that extension, as it would
have to be first specified in the update-rc.d API, then implemented by
sysv-rc and file-rc.  As I said, it is possible to get the same
behavior by replacing 'default' with something else, so I am not sure
if it is better to insert 'multiuser' instead of 'start 20 2 3 4 5
. stop 20 1 .'.  It is definitely easier and shorter, but as I said it
is also not quite optimal using 20 as the stop sequence, so I am not
sure it is a feature to copy into Debian.

I've instead spent my time working on the dependency based boot
sequencing system, because I believe it solve this and other problems
in a more elegant way.  It allow us to specify per script where in the
boot and shutdown sequence it should run, and which runlevel it should
run in.  It is now working fairly well, as documented on

> I don't see documentation about Should-Stop there.

Right.  Sorry.  See the parent page,
Default-Stop, not Should-stop.

What about changing the default values for dh_installinit for a future
debhelper compatibility layer, to use 'start 20 2 3 4 5 . stop 80 1 .'
instead of 'default' when calling update-rc.d?

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen