Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

> Robert Collins <robertc@robertcollins.net> writes:
> > On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 00:29 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
>
> >> Some packages actually do need to shut down cleanly; in the case of a
> >> database, for example, such a change could cause data loss.
>
> > Surely no more than a hard power failure(*), which databases (even such
> > lightweight ones as sqlite) are designed to handle.
>
> You can still lose data transactions that weren't complete, and you may
> have to go through an extended consistency check when the system comes
> back up.

Definitely. And databases are likely to store some critical data, just consider
LDAP as yet another database (which, for performance reasons, won't write
changes to disk all the time).

Once we are at it: If we don't do clean shutdowns of the services anymore, why
don't you just turn off power instead of taking the pain to kill the processes?
I guess I missed the point.

Best,
Michael