Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 07:11:01PM +0100, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Once we are at it: If we don't do clean shutdowns of the services anymore, why
> don't you just turn off power instead of taking the pain to kill the processes?
> I guess I missed the point.

The point is that, if all you're going to do by way of a "clean
shutdown" is send SIGTERM to the process and not wait for it to complete
(which is the case for quite a number of init scripts; Scott did a
survey of those that were part of a stock Ubuntu desktop installation at
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Teardown), then you might as well just let
sendsigs do that since it's going to do so anyway.

This isn't "not doing clean shutdowns" - it's just rationalising away
multiple init scripts called on shutdown that are duplicating work done
by a core script.

Cheers,