Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 07:11:01PM +0100, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Once we are at it: If we don't do clean shutdowns of the services anymore, why
> don't you just turn off power instead of taking the pain to kill the processes?
> I guess I missed the point.

Well, not sure whether I'm playing devil's advocate here, but:

init sends a TERM signal to the processes, and only 5(?) seconds later
the KILL signal.  So databases or other services can catch the TERM
signal and have five seconds to properly shutdown, which might or might
not be enough.

Michael