Re: Is The number of stable users dropping fast?

On 2008-12-21 15:14 +0100, Teemu Likonen wrote:

> Petter Reinholdtsen (2008-12-21 14:38 +0100) wrote:
>
>> As you can see, the number of submissions have dropped the last month.
>> Not by much so far, but it used to increase every week.
>
> Maybe we want to look at the bigger picture. This is a graph about the
> number of installations of popularity-contest package from the release
> of Etch to this day:
>
> http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=popularity-contest&show_installed=on&from_date=2007-04-08&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1
>
> (Obviously this is does not make distinction between stable, testing and
> unstable.)
>
> This time frame tells or suggests that Debian's popularity increased
> very much after Etch release

Not quite true.  It tells that the _number of popcon users_ increased,
which is small wonder since the Etch installer installs the
popularity-contest package by default while the Sarge installer did not.

> and it has remained about the same after
> March/April 2008. It's too early to make any estimations from the last
> month.

True.  I think we should reevaluate the situation in a year or so when
the seasonal effects (e.g., lower numbers because of vacations during
northern summer) can be estimated better.

Sven