Re: Josselin Mouette and Planet Debian

Le Thursday 18 December 2008 19:12:29 Martin Langhoff, vous avez écrit :
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > Manners, Josselin, and discretion.  There are some places where it's just
> > not appropriate to blurt out whatever you're thinking.
>
> +10 from here.
>
> Of course, Josselin thinks and jokes differently from others, as it's
> natural to do. When in a large cross-cultural project, it's a good
> idea to be tactful. That's how people show they respect others.

Like telling in public to someone that he's your new X ?

I agree with you, but I fail to see how Josselin is worse. Yes he does bad
jokes and sometimes some remarks can probably be taken personaly, but I don't
think he ever called for killing someone, even ironically (for what it means
to be ironic about murder).

There's a general track on being too rude, but I don't think you can blame a
single guy for that.

I won't spoil this thread anymore, but making things like this personal really
makes me sad. Problems of a group are usually solved by the group as a whole,
not by throwing out a designated culprit. We did before, and some of you
might have noticed that this was not a solution to the issue.

The initial proposition of this thread was this idea of code of conduct..  I
don't like it either. If you believe someone is being too rude, why don't you
simply tell it to him, in public or in private ?

Using a code of conduct puts more bureaucracy whereas everyone knows
that email communication (and similar) tend to create anger just because you
don't get the implicit message, tone, irony and etc... There's no need for a
code, only some more communication between us.

And if the jokes don't make you laugh, just ignore them.

Cheers,

Romain