Re: Packages still depending on GTK+ 1.2

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 01:50:44AM +0100, Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:

> On 06/12/2008, at 00.09, Michael Banck wrote:
>
>>> There are several useful science programs that still make use of GTK+
>>> 1.2, one is a very useful chemistry program, GAMGI, which is in the
>>> new
>>> queue and on its way into unstable.
>>
>> AFAICT, gamgi is using GTK-2.0.
>
> Yes you are right, gamgi uses GTK-2.0 as of March this year. I was
> quoting from (volatile, apparently) memory.
>
> However, I maintain my objection. One thing is removing out-of-date
> applications, another is to remove a library which may well be used by
> users to compile and link their local applications. Even though there
> are no apps in Debian linking to GTK+ 1.2 the library should really
> remain in the archives.

With such arguments, we would still ship every single bit that was
shipped some day. This is going nowhere.

Moreover, removing a package from the archive doesn't mean it will
disappear at apt-get dist-upgrade time, not that it will disappear from
archive.debian.org.

Mike