Re: NEW processing

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 10:09:37AM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> It shouldn't need to be more than this, because packages shouldn't be
> uploaded with problems that can be trivially identified at NEW
> processing time.

Agreed.

> However, considering some of the rejects which have
> recently been discussed here, that appears not to be the case.

That seems irrelevant.

> This is the minimum required check, I think; if ftpmasters want to
> check more things and/or find more issues as they're doing this check,
> more power to them.

No, not more power to them.  Conflating unnecessary tasks with privileged
roles is a bad idea.

If the project needed to moderate all BTS mails to ensure that nothing
insulting was said about the King, it wouldn't be rational to let the
BTS moderation team task themselves with ensuring that the message tone
was polite enough, that any submissions with spelling errors were
hard-rejected, and so on.  This would clearly improve the quality of
the information in the BTS.  Having the stewards of the archive do
QA work in a bottleneck is even more ludicrous because, unlike a bug
report, which is practically eternal, bugs in packages can actually be
fixed by subsequent uploads.