Re: NEW processing

On 03/12/08 at 16:33 +0100, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> * Romain Beauxis <toots@rastageeks.org> [2008-12-03 15:51]:
>
> > I, too, believe the copyright check is the core of the role of the NEW queue.
> >
> > Quality checks could be done later and this would ease the whole process while
> > keeping a focus where it is important.
>
> I completely disagree. It's a welcome benefit if packages of inferior
> quality are prevented from entering the archive in the first place imo.

We currently have a long reviewing process before packages get into the
archive. But once they are in, maintainers are free to do whatever they
want with their packages, without any review happening.

I'm not advocating that we just stop doing reviews. But IMHO, NEW
processing should be about the legal problems, not about the random
lintian warning/errors, and the various other packaging malpractices.
What we should do instead is encourage reviews (either on mentors, or
inside teams), because that's also a much more scalable solution.

Of course, if ftpmasters come across random problems in the package
while reviewing legal stuff and mention that to the maintainer, it's
great. But having other things checked by ftpmasters just reduces their
bandwidth and causes longer queues.