Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

On Montag, 10. November 2008, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 03:05:32PM +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:
> > it took a little longer than I expected but I finally launched
> > 	http://screenshots.debian.net
>
> First of all thanks a lot for the effort, the result is already really
> cool and in perspective it is amazingly useful!

Thanks. I love positive feedback. Developers often tend to point out errors
way more than enjoying what's already there. :)

> On the guidelines:
>
> - You state that screenshot will be released under the same term of
>   the screenshot-ed package, why so? It seems to me rather arbitrary
>   and makes impossible to bundle all screenshot together on a media
>   and distribute them under a consistent license.
>
>   Suggestion: just name a license and stick to it.

If it's legally feasible I'd like to put all work under the MIT license and
be done with it. I hope someone with a "legal" background can help a
little here.

> Then an usability comment: the only link under each screenshot is
> "request removal". IMO it is too "tempting", because it is the large
> and because it is the only link. Suggestion: replace it with the
> classical "X" icon with a tooltip, and make it "less important" by
> adding some other link, e.g., the suggested link to
> packages.debian.org.

I'll think of something. :) Although clicking on it comes up with a text
entry field to the request isn't immediately filed. Previously I had
an "are you sure" popup instead.

> Out of curiosity, do you already have an API for accessing screenshot
> data externally? I guess the packages.d.o are interested in that, and
> for sure I'm interested in that to add a TODO item in the PTS for
> missing screenshots (probably just for some class of packages, we'll
> see).

Thanks to the framework used (Pylons) I can fully control which URL does
what. I intend to provide a URL that can be used for packages.debian.org
to display the screenshots. Possibly like:
http://screenshots.d.n/package/foobar/firstscreenshot

I can even offer JSON, SOAP, XML, whatever if needed. Some URL that can be
used in an IMG/SRC tag should probably be sufficient for packages.d.o.
I'll soon document the URL schema so everybody can use it. Just let me
know what information you need and I'll try providing a proper API.

 Christoph