Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ???lenny-ignore????

[NO CC, please]

Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 14:59 -0500, William Pitcock wrote:
>> If we waited for a release to be 100% perfect, it will likely take
>> several more years. The good news is that the amount of inline firmware
>> in the kernel is decreasing. So, eventually, all non-DFSG
>> redistributable firmware can belong in firmware-nonfree.
>
> Do we have an ironclad commitment to not add any additional non-DFSG
> firmware, period, no matter what?  I would accept a compromise which
> guaranteed an increasing slope.  But not a back-and-forth thing.  Your
> reply focuses on regression issues, so is that really sufficient?  We
> guarantee that, say, there will always be *less* non-DFSG firmware in
> each release, and we guarantee that there will never be *new* non-DFSG
> firmware.

First of all sorry for mentioning it here. But doesn't 2.6.27 partially solve
the issue by moving all that stuff to firmware/? it could easily be stripped
from the tarball and moved to some other package. Not that I'm an expert in the
field, but I haven't seen anyone mentioning the .27 change before in the
thread.

> Thomas

Cheers,
Raphael Geissert