Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ???lenny-ignore????

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 14:36 -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 16:27 -0500, William Pitcock wrote:
> > >
> > > I would be entirely happy with that.  But I have just been told by
> > > William Pitcock that apparently we are required somehow to support new
> > > hardware with non-free software too.  So it's not a decreasing list,
> > > it's an accordion list with no real commitment to the DFSG at all.
> >
> > Do not put words into my mouth. I simply stated that user experience is
> > an important factor, and that if free drivers (*FREE*) which depend on
> > non-free firmware are available, and the firmware is inline, then it
> > should not block Lenny's release.
>
> Huh?  So you would be willing to agree to a rule that we never add
> anything new to the list of non-free bits?

In the kernel itself, yes. Provided that:

  * the kernel framework for loading firmware is used for drivers
depending on non-free firmware, and
  * that firmware is available in non-free via firmware-nonfree

Infact, once I have time, I intend to start pushing patches upstream to
make this happen.

But this is going to take another kernel release cycle... if we intend
to release Lenny with 2.6.26, than this is not an option.

For hardware where this is an unacceptable solution, rewriting the
driver to not use the firmware may still be possible.

William