Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ‘lenny-ignore’?

On Mon, Oct 20 2008, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 04:52:40PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>         I think that we should not just assume that the developers think
>>  that violating the DFSG is acceptable just to release a new version. I

> Sure, but we shouldn't assume the contrary either, and it seems to me
> that a lot of participants in this thread did precisely that.

        I am not sure who you are talking about, but I assure you I have
 not. My point is that we should explicitly ask, especially if it is
 about having us willfully violate the DFSG.

>>         The tools do not make decisions, people do. I also think that
>>  the foundation documents codify what the core values for the project
>>  are. If the release team is drifting away from the foundation
>>  documents, I think they are drifting away from the project at large, by
>>  definition.
>
> But why nobody is making these very same arguments to the maintainer
> of their packages or to the FTP masters FWIW?

        They have been made to the maintainers, and my understanding is
 the same arguments have been made to the ftp masters.

> According to these arguments they are drifting as away as the
> RMs. Either this is actually so (which I don't believe), or as Dato
> said the general feeling about these issues agrees with them RMs.

        This does not logically follow. If the delegates are all vested
 into releasing regularly on schedule, it does not mean that the project
 as a wh9ole either agrees, or disagrees. Which is why we must ask.

> Truth is that this is yet another case where I would like to see more
> a poll (still authenticated with devotee) to feel the general feelings
> of DDs, more than a GR with a decision which would actually be a
> pretest just to understand the general feeling.

        A straw poll would not be something which I would consider
 authoritative, or binding, in any fashion, no.

        manoj
--
Truthful, adj.: Dumb and illiterate. Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's
Dictionary"