Re: A tool for tracking masked updates to stable packages

  Hello,

Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> |  - making local changes to the official version. In this case, the most
> |    reliable way is to make the version string sort as older than the
> |    official one (using the "tilde" feature of dpkg) and force
> |    installation of such package using pinning. (The other strategy:
> |    trying to invent a version string newer than the current one, but
> |    older than the next one is difficult to do reliably.)

  In that case, a solution that comes to my mind is to use the Forbid
feature of aptitude: you install the locally-modified version and forbid
the version currently in stable. This way, aptitude won't install it,
but it will upgrade to a later version if there is one.

  Of course, you'll still have to prepare a new version based on the new
one, but at least, you'll notice there is an upgrade available.

  Cheers,

	Vincent

--
Vincent Fourmond, Debian Developer
http://vince-debian.blogspot.com/

It was funny how people were people everywhere you went, even if the
people concerned weren't the people the people who made up the phrase
``people are people everywhere'' had traditionally thought of as people.
 -- Terry Pratchet, The Fifth Elephant

Vincent, listening to Darlene (Led Zeppelin)