Re: Re: Include on first iso: m-a, build essential, kernel headers

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 08:21:14PM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 09:53:24PM +0200, richs wrote:
>> I think that including headers, m-a and build essential would be a good
>>  move for the developers. Other distros have out-of-the-box non-free
>> and  proprietary apps/drivers/codecs, I would just like to see Debian
>> offer a  complete base on that first iso. At least offering the means
>> to  completely setup Debian form the get-go.
>
> Non-free (and contrib) packages are not part of Debian and are therefore
> not shipped on Debian CDs or DVDs.  I understand your frustration with
> not being able to use your wireless card out of the box; I have the same
> problem, since my card (iwl3945) requires non-free firmware.  However,
> the Social Contract states very clearly that only Free Software can be
> part of Debian.
>
> Even if the packages you request were available on the first CD, you
> still don't have the drivers that you would need to compile, since those
> are in non-free or contrib and thus aren't on the CDs.  Your best
> chances of getting a working system out of the box are if Free drivers
> without firmware are included into the kernel.  If this is a serious
> concern, I would recommend carefully selecting the hardware you buy for
> optimal compatibility.

I'm wondering... do we have binary packages for all kernel modules we have
(free) -source packages for so that such kernel modules don't need to be
built by users ? If no, then maybe either they should exist or m-a and
other necessary stuff should be on the first CD, as well as the -source
packages. If yes, maybe they should be on the first CD if they are not
already.

Mike