Re: Include on first iso: m-a, build essential, kernel headers

Hi,

richs@dreamlinuxforums.org wrote:
> They are free, do not take up space, but
> without them (on a wireless only computer) you hit a vicious circle;
> Needing internet to be able to get internet.

Avoiding the free vs. non-free firmware issue, most of these packages
are available on Debian CDs/DVDs, just perhaps not on the first
installation media. The choice of which software to put on the first CD
is a correlation between software importance and target audience size,
so it's not so easy to determine.

If I understand your problem correctly, the packages you need
(atl2-modules) aren't even available in Etch, so you're probably talking
about Lenny CDs, right? If not, I guess this might be a problem.

If what you mean is madwifi-source, then the problem is the non-free
status, which means we simply can't distribute it on CDs.

If the package you need isn't a victim of any of the above mentioned
problems, you can find the CDs which contain it here[0].

> I have backups (via aptoncd) for all of the aforementioned tools and
> dependencies for Etch, Lenny and Sid. However, I ythink that their
> inclusion is far more important than, say... renaming Firefox or
> including Mono in the gnome desktop.

Mono is not included in the first CD, just as the tools you need.
The renaming of Firefox is not a matter of taste (as could be argued
about the order of packages on CDs), and had to be done because of the
reasons explained here[1] (lots of mail-list archive reading...).
So neither of those are arguments have any relevance to the matter at hand.

Cheers

[0] http://atterer.net/jigdo/jigdo-search.php
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/12/msg00328.html

--