Re: Dpkg triggers and user experience, aka "How do I disable those triggers" side effect.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008, Christian Perrier wrote:

Are you basing this assumption on somethign really experienced?

It is even documented on debian-devel:

Indeed, when I run an "apt<whatever> dist-upgrade", I just launch the
command, look at the list of actions that are planned, hit "Y" to
confirm and just switch to another window and come back some hours
later.

Well, I have more than one window on my desktop and sometimes look at
the process that continuosely spits out lines I never realised before ...

In short, I don't really care to read what's happening or displayed on
my screen..:-)

I'd regard this as a grand fathers phenomenon: Beeing unable to
concentrate on more than one thing. ;-))))

Do you think that real users will worry about mysterious actions
happening after package installs?

Honestly, I think so.  Especially new users who are not yet comfortable
with the fact that in Debian most things went very smoothly and you
do not need to observe continuosely.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

--