Re: Dpkg triggers and user experience, aka "How do I disable those triggers" side effect.

* Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> [080628 23:12]:
> > Indeed, when I run an "apt<whatever> dist-upgrade", I just launch the
> > command, look at the list of actions that are planned, hit "Y" to
> > confirm and just switch to another window and come back some hours
> > later.
>
> When I run "apt-get install foo", I want it to be damed fast, since I need
> to continue my work.

I think this is a very important usability factor.

Please note that there are not only experiened users that have
confidence in their understanding of the system and the system itself
but also people not having that background.

Fiddling with package management is usually quite a critical point: You
often do not do what exactly it does, so reverting it manually will not
be possible. Thus if you lack confidence, installing or removing
packages means quite some stress, and the earlier it is finished the
earlier you leave that unhealthy state.

At least that is my experience when using other systems like Yast on
SuSe: There are some interfaces I do not fully understand, it does some
things related to what I asked it, and then is writes several minutes
(at least it feels like that) with doing things that seem totally
unrelated (I guess it just rewrites some config and has suboptimal
triggers when to write what).

I guess unexperienced people might feel the same when seeing this
triggers. (Even I are sometimes at loss why it does specific things,
for example updating mandb after I try to install a package but that
failed).

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link
--
"Never contain programs so few bugs, as when no debugging tools are available!"
	Niklaus Wirth