Re: Dpkg triggers and user experience, aka "How do I disable those triggers" side effect.

On Sat, June 28, 2008 15:12, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Franklin PIAT (fpiat@bigfoot.com):
>
>> That's true, IMHO. The funny (and *angering*) thing is, those users who
>> actually notice triggers are likely to complain :
>>
>>  "Why the Hell do you run those triggers, it wastes my time !"
>
> Are you basing this assumption on somethign really experienced?

I'll answer your third point first : Yes, I wish we avoid potential
triggers abuses, even if it's for good will .

I'm not just afraid of what people complains about. I am also afraid of
those hundreds of little things that can potentially get people pissed
off.

> Indeed, when I run an "apt<whatever> dist-upgrade", I just launch the
> command, look at the list of actions that are planned, hit "Y" to
> confirm and just switch to another window and come back some hours
> later.

When I run "apt-get install foo", I want it to be damed fast, since I need
to continue my work.

[..]
> I understand the point in your suggestion and we certainly should be
> careful about potential triggers abuse (just like debconf abuse I'm
> hunting here and there) but I don't really think that the complaints
> will come from our users.

Franklin