Re: ITP: debian-backports-keyring -- GnuPG archive key of the backports.org repository

Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
> In my humble opinion they should be allowed to be packaged as if they
> are normal packages. Don't get me wrong, but Debian is a distribution,
> so what we basically do is pack up things that are worth distributing
> and distribute them. This way Debian users can benefit from our work and

AFAIK, we do not distribute "things", we distribute *software*. Some
packages are just composed of data though, but other packages depend on
it. Some is just data that is very useful in the *Debian* project. This
includes the keyring.

Certainly, the backports.org keyring is useful to some people, *but* it is,

  1. not free software
  2. free software does not depend on it
  3. not part of Debian's important data stuff

If backports.org keyring get distributed, then I would argue it allows
others, non-software data to be packaged as well. For example, some free
anime movies, or the Gutenberg project packages.

Debian is for *free software* (and some non-free) and stuff that related
to Debian. It is not for backports.org, or Ubuntu, or some other stuff.

- Adam