Re: Arch-dependent Depends

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 18:31 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Because hypre upstream doesn't make static libs, and I got tired of
> > making a new patch with every release, libhypre-dev is arch all without
> > static libs.  However, it needs to depend on openmpi on some arches, and
> > lam4-dev on others.  Using the same syntax as Build-Depends doesn't
> > work.
> >
> > Is there a way to do this, or do I need to make libhypre-dev arch any
> > and set the dep using substvars, even though its contents are
> > arch-independent?  I notice that Policy section 7.1 provides for
> > arch-dependent Build-Deps, but there's nothing similar for Depends...
>
> There is no such syntax so you have to something else.
>
> As you already said you can make libhypre-dev arch any and you must.

"Must" is a bit strong.  There's nothing in Policy (8.4) stating this;
please correct me if I'm wrong.  And 8.3 uses "usually" regarding
provision of a static library.

The bug filed against the package suggests "libopenmpi-dev | lam4-dev".
Will this be a problem?

> Further you have the choice of creating libhypre-dev-common containing
> the shared files. But only do that if libhypre-dev-common will be
> reasonably large. There is no point in the split for just
> 100K. ftp-master will veto if it is too small.

The package is 141K, and it's *all* shared.  That is, it consists of
header files and .so symlinks.

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/