Re: What about use xml for descriptions of packages?

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 08:46 -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 02:40:07PM +0200, Fernando Cerezal wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm thinking about advantages and disadvantages of write the
> > description of the packages using XML.
>
> Personally, I would hate this.  I've written too many ant build.xml
> scripts to think that writing XML by hand is even a remotely sane thing
> to do.

I agree - I write a lot of XML and XSL and write various XML backends
for various upstream projects. It sounds like a very bad idea to me,
especially considering the extra workload required to parse the dpkg
data on low resource installations.

The extra bloat of the XML tags alone is sufficient reason not to do
this, IMHO.

I like XML but it isn't the right choice for package descriptions IMHO.
Better to work with a simpler format but one that can still be parsed by
gettext so that TDebs can read the translation strings from binary .mo
files.

--

Neil Williams