Re: How to handle Debian patches

Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@madism.org> writes:

> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 05:04:56PM +0000, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 May 2008 15:24:13 +0200, Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> said:
>>

>> > (publishing my branch in a gitweb) isn't normalized, and won't
>> > probably ever be, or not under this form.
>>
>>         Don't you think that Vcs-Browse and Vcs-$SCN headers are
>>  normalized ways for telling end users where to get the development
>>  sources from?
>
>   For devel sources yes. Sadly, this won't give you the straight URL to
> what upstream are interested in.

The syntax for the fields also does not currently let you specify a
branch or tag, it's just the whole repo.  Personally, I'd like it to
allow specification of the branch/tag used to produce the specific
release of the package in Sources.gz (or better, the latest
development on that branch).

For example:

  Vcs-Git: git://git.debian.org/git/buildd-tools/schroot

This gives you the master branch, but the Debian packages are actually
on the schroot-1.2 stable release branch.  For people who want to hack
on what's actually in use in Debian testing/unstable right now, this
is the wrong branch.

Regards,
Roger

--