Re: Mailing lsit code of conduct, again

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 07:31:37PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> I agree it has been controversial. However, "wrong" is just your opinion.
> My opinion is that it is "right" for Debian's lists.

My preference for a default is to suggest that everyone always Cc unless
otherwise requested.  Note that I did not mail a patch that codifies
this, because legislating something like that when there is clearly
no consensus about the right thing to do would lead to all sorts of
strife.  Do you see where I'm going with this?

What I proposed instead amounted to a single grammar change, and the
removal of some controversial, sometimes-flouted, and, as Russ points
out, unenforced bits of the CoC upon which the project never actually
agreed.  Such a change would introduce benefits: a certain group of
people would no longer have the option of using that webpage as a
"stick to beat people with"; the CoC would gain a smidge more
legitimacy since a higher percentage of it would be less controversial;
fewer people might be encouraged to omit Cc's in spite of my M-F-T.

I am posting far too much in this thread.