Re: Tracking divergence from upstream as a bug

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 18:43 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:
>
> > However, from a bug submitter point of view, I don't think I want to
> > see the bug report kept open (tagged divergence) after it has
> > actually been closed by a Debian-specific patch. As upstream it
> > might make a fair bit of sense but as a user / bug submitter, it
> > will just look odd.
>
> Would your opinion be different if the bug was "fixed" but not closed
> nor archived, until the "divergence" tag is gone?

I think that would be fine - as long as the bug is clearly "Fixed" and
the relevant Debian www pages are updated.

> > A user reporting a bug in foo should not still be wondering why the
> > bug is open after the fix has been applied.
>
> Isn't that a matter easily resolved by presenting the bug information
> appropriately in the interface?

Yes - supported by the use of (Fixed: #1234) in
debian/changelog, .changes etc. and a revised interface for PTS and DDPO
to discriminate between Fixed and Closed bugs.

--

Neil Williams