Re: Package maintenance in $HOME os an NFS share? (best practices survey)

Hi Christoph,

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 03:47:38PM +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:
> I'm encountering a lot of bitching with using svn-inject (from
> svn-buildpackage) over an NFS share. A quick survey of fellow DDs told me

of which kind? Personally I do use svn-buildpackage on a NFSv4 mounted
home directory and I don't have serious problems (except that it is
badly slow, but thats the fault of the underlying RAID which has a write
performance problem, because the controller (3ware 9550SX) is obviously
not the best you can buy). It works fine, as far as I am concerned.

> So I'm wondering what other developers do. Are you using NFS at all? Are
> you putting all your work under repository control and check the files out
> to a local disk and back in to the server? I consider keeping $HOME on NFS
> but symlink $HOME/debian to /mnt/localdisk/debian or something like that.

I do so for very large checkouts, because a checkout to my HOME is very
slow (about 10 minutes for a ~ 200MB working copy where the checkout to
/tmp (which is on local disk) takes about 2 minutes) due to our RAID
problems. Otherwise I just use the NFS home and its fine.

Best Regards,
Patrick