Package maintenance in $HOME os an NFS share? (best practices survey)

Fellow devs,

I'm encountering a lot of bitching with using svn-inject (from
svn-buildpackage) over an NFS share. A quick survey of fellow DDs told me
that they don't build packages on an NFS share anyway but instead use
their local disks. And - voila - svn-inject finally worked from a local
disk. So I was generally questioning how I use NFS here.

Of course it's faster to work from a completely local disk. No network
latency (even though it's a LAN). My disks transport ~30 MB/sec whereas my
100 Mbps networks is limited to ~10 MB/sec. But it's convenient to have
the files backed up to tape automatically on the server. And I can work on
my laptop in the living room as well as on my workstation in the basement.

So I'm wondering what other developers do. Are you using NFS at all? Are
you putting all your work under repository control and check the files out
to a local disk and back in to the server? I consider keeping $HOME on NFS
but symlink $HOME/debian to /mnt/localdisk/debian or something like that.

I'd love to learn how other developers handle this.

Cheers
 Christoph
--
When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all.