Re: Package maintenance in $HOME os an NFS share? (best practices survey)

Hi Christoph,

> So I'm wondering what other developers do. Are you using NFS at all? Are
> you putting all your work under repository control and check the files out
> to a local disk and back in to the server? I consider keeping $HOME on NFS
> but symlink $HOME/debian to /mnt/localdisk/debian or something like that.

All the stuff I'm working on is on a server somewhere in the net (either
on alioth, sf.net, berlios,..... or my own server), and whereever I want
to work on something I get a checkout and commit before switching
computers. To checkout things like the DPMT/PAPT repositories I have
small scripts, as I have a checkout of all trunks on my disk usually.
Here is an example snippet:

=====schnipp==========
URL=svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/python-modules/packages
svn ls ${URL} | sed 's,/$,,' | while read dir; do
        if [ -d ${dir} ]; then
                svn up ${dir}
        else
                svn co ${URL}/${dir}/trunk ${dir}
        fi
done

NFS is something I avoid if possible.

Hope that helps,

Bernd

--
 Bernd Zeimetz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 GPG Fingerprint: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79