Re: Package maintenance in $HOME os an NFS share? (best practices survey)

Christoph Haas <haas@debian.org> writes:

> So I'm wondering what other developers do. Are you using NFS at all?
> Are you putting all your work under repository control and check the
> files out to a local disk and back in to the server?

I choose Bazaar <URL:http://bazaar-vcs.org/> where possible for
version control of my software projects. It has many features, one of
which is apropos here:

"checkout" allows the best of both centralised-style VCS workflow when
available and distributed repository workflow when offline.
<URL:http://bazaar-vcs.org/Tutorials/CentralizedWorkflow>

This allows me to work in checkouts on local hard drives whichever
machine I happen to be working on, yet Bazaar keeps the central branch
in sync (at each commit to the branch) with the local branch across
the network, whenever it's available. When it's not, I commit locally,
knowing that I can sync with the central branch later.

So, it's almost what you say above, except that Bazaar takes care of
the "out to a local disk and back in to the server" automatically,
without losing the full benefits of distributed VCS.

--
 \      "I like to fill my bathtub up with water, then turn the shower |
  `\    on and pretend I'm in a submarine that's been hit."  -- Steven |