Re: Heads up: ffmpeg transition (SONAME Change!)

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:18:13AM +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> On Debconf 7, the ffmpeg maintainers had a conversation with James Troup
> from the ftpteam about mpeg encoders in the ffmpeg package. The ftpteam
> was pretty surprised about the accepted encoders, and admitted that they
> were accepted by accident. We therefore had no choice but removing
> them. We agreed on a plan that rather disables than removes the
> encoders, for details see debian/strip.sh, rendering those encoders
> unusable.

For those of us not living in jurisdictions where software patents appear
very enforceable, is there currently any way to build our own, unstripped
packages? (Sort of like the DVD-CSS "example" script downloading and building
the right modules for you.)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/