Re: Heads up: ffmpeg transition (SONAME Change!)

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 12:29:20PM +0200, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> > [ffmpeg]
>
> For those of us not living in jurisdictions where software patents appear
> very enforceable, is there currently any way to build our own, unstripped
> packages? (Sort of like the DVD-CSS "example" script downloading and building
> the right modules for you.)

While requests for reviving non-US (non-JP non-DE) are heard from time to
time, it's still not there :(  For now, the best choice is the good old
"debian-non-legal" repository available at http://debian-multimedia.org,
thanks to great work by Christian Marillat.

I don't think there is a reason to have downloaders for perfectly free
software if you can have it properly packaged, with both binaries and
source, at a place where the patent lobby doesn't rule.

Too bad, that repository mixes free but patented pieces of software with
outright undistributable ones (hence the "debian-non-legal" nickname), but
unlike most repositories you don't need to worry about quality of packaging.

And there's still hope for non-US-JP-DE...

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be