Re: Should -dev packages providing .pc files depend on pkg-config?

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 07:58:44 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> said:

> * Manoj Srivastava
>> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:15:53 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow
>> <goswin-v-b@web.de> said:
>>
>> > You are missing the point.
>>
>> > What if the library says "You must call /usr/bin/foo during build"?
>>
>> How does the library say that? Why can't I just have gcc -o baz baz.c
>> -lfoo
>>
>> How can the library make that not work?

> By not shipping the libraries in /usr/lib:

>> pkg-config --libs valgrind
> -L/usr/lib/valgrind/amd64-linux -lcoregrind -lvex -lgcc

        And how exactly does this prevent me from doing:
baz: baz.c
        gcc -o baz baz.c -L/usr/lib/foo/amd64-linux -lfoo

> [...]

__> pkg-config --cflags --libs libselinux
>> -lselinux
>>
>> Which is, err, nice. But You can, you know, just use -lselinux in
>> your Makefile. I don't see why libselinux-dev needs to depend on
>> pkg-config. Or even recommend it.

> Yes, in the simple case, you can just do this.  In the more complex
> case (which upstream might want to cater for), you need to use
> pkg-config.  pkg-config allows you to, say, move all the headers from
> each package into its own namespace, like how GTK+ and Glib does it
> and you can then rename that later if you so wish, without causing
> FTBFS-es.

        No, I do not need to do any such thing. I can just inspect the
 files shipped, and adjust accordingly.  It is _convenient_ to use
 pkg-config, but I am not forced to use it.  We have been linking
 libraries for _decades_ before pkg-config was invented

        So, if you want to use the convenience of pkg-config; build
 depend on it.

        manoj
--
Nirvana?  That's the place where the powers that be and their friends
hang out. Zonker Harris