Re: Should -dev packages providing .pc files depend on pkg-config?

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:15:53 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow
<goswin-v-b@web.de> said:

> You are missing the point.

> What if the library says "You must call /usr/bin/foo during build"?

        How does the library say that? Why can't I just have
 gcc -o baz baz.c -lfoo

        How can the library make that not work?

> The libarry does not use foo, only the user, so no depends?  Or idoes
> forcing users to use foo make foo part of the API and hence the
> library should depend on it?

        If the library can be used without calling /usr/bin/foo? I mean,
 I know it is a convenience function, but it does not, in fact, force
 anyone to use foo, or pkg-config, or anything,

__> pkg-config --cflags --libs libselinux
 -lselinux

        Which is, err, nice. But You can, you know, just use -lselinux
 in your Makefile. I don't see why libselinux-dev needs to depend on
 pkg-config. Or even recommend it.

        manoj
--
Always look over your shoulder because everyone is watching and plotting
against you.