Re: Adding lzma to dpkg's Pre-Depends

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:24:43AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > So of course besides OOo on there we also find the kernel packages.  We
> > wouldn't have to use lzma for the kernels though, if that would raise the
> > minimum memory requirements for servers, or lzma could be selectively
> > enabled on a per-flavor or per-arch basis as appropriate.

> The results are a bit misleading, because they compare the absolute
> gain.

No, why would that be misleading?  You don't want the overhead of lzma
compression for a 10-fold reduction in the size of a package that's already
in the bottom 5% of packages by absolute size.

It's the absolute size savings that counts - that's what's going to have the
biggest impact on mirror size, mirroring time, CD set size, and download
times for users.