Re: triggers wishlist

[Michael Biebl]
> I don't understand, why it shouldn't be possible, that a single
> update-rc.insserv run, reoders *all* init scripts in one go. You
> could still skip the ones, which will cause loops or have no
> dependency information.

Well, there are two things that need to be done as insserv work today:

 - Call update-rc.d in dependency order when adding new scripts to the
   boot sequence (one call is not going to work).  It refuses to
   install a script (and in consequence, the package) if the scripts
   hard dependencies are not already inserted into the boot sequence.

 - Refuse to install a package that introduces a dependency loop,
   while allowing those that do not introduce a loop to install, to
   avoid getting an unstable boot sequence (as in, there is no way to
   know how to order the scripts involved in a loop).

I'm not aware of triggers being able to do that.  Besides, one need to
be very careful when changing the boot sequence, to make sure the
machine stay bootable. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen