Re: triggers wishlist

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 00:54 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> On 30/03/2008, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > I don't understand, why it shouldn't be possible, that a single
> > update-rc.insserv run, reoders *all* init scripts in one go. You could
> > still skip the ones, which will cause loops or have no dependency
> > information.
>
> I guess the algo is currently “there's no loop; try and add foo; if a
> loop is introduced, foo is guilty; otherwise, be happy”. If you don't
> have the “we're trying to add foo” bit, I guess it's hard (if possible
> at all) to find which package(s) is/are guilty.

Huh, pretty straight forward - use tarjans method, get the strongly
connected sets, and you can dump out the loops immediately. If you want
to be able to say 'package X is at fault' - well, adding packages one by
one does not tell you that - the loop exists in the archive, adding
packages one by one only tells you when you have pulled in enough to
show the loop.

-Rob