Re: triggers wishlist

Joey Hess wrote:
> dpkg in experimental supports triggers now, and in many cases trigger
> support can be added to packages without creating a hard dependency on
> a new version of dpkg.
>
> Things I want to see use triggers, in approximate priority order:

[..]

> - update-icon-caches
> - update-desktop-database
> 	These are not very slow, nor used by a great many packages,
> 	but triggerizing them would allow getting rid of dh_icons and
> 	dh_desktop eventually, which I would appreciate.

Sounds interesting.
What would have a maintainer to do, to support triggers?
As a lot of Gnome/KDE packages use cdbs, would fixing kde.mk/gnome.mk be
sufficient?

> - install-info
> 	Currnently it has to be told which info file has changed, but
> 	that could easily be removed. Triggerizing this would simplify
> 	some maintainer scripts. (Only ones that don't need to pass
> 	install-info any options.)

- insserv/update-rc.d
Looks like a possible candidate too (without knowing much about triggers).

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?