Re: How to install Suggested (Was: Are all recommended modules equally important?)

"Andreas Tille" <tillea@rki.de> wrote in message [🔎] alpine.DEB.1.00.0803191210010.21847@wr-linux02">news:[🔎] alpine.DEB.1.00.0803191210010.21847@wr-linux02...
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Don Armstrong wrote:

So you do something like:

apt-get -o APT::Install-Suggests=true install foo; or similar.

[Though it probably should be an easier option, it is possible to do.]

Well, this hint was given now in the initial thread on Debian-Med
and well, this actually would be an option - but if I fail to find
this documented in the man pages I posted I think it is not
apropriately documented.  I also was sure that it is _possible_,
but IMHO this is (1) a quite difficult option for a feature that might
be needed by users who do not want to dive into details of apt and
(2) not properly documented.

I will say the following. I fully agree that "--install-suggests" should exist, and should do the right thing. It sounds like an easy enough feature to add, my guess is that the code for installing or not installing recommends could be adapted to work with relatively little difficulty. (I'm guessing the recommends feature is simply setting a configuration option, so duplicating it and changing the option set should work. I may be wrong though.) That is definately a wishlist bug.

As for the apt.conf configuartion option, I think it is documented in the correct place (configure-index.gz), although it may be wise to mention that file from the main apt-get manpage, as a list of other options that can be used through the -o command line option. That mention is worth a seperate wishlist bug.

Finally, if the documention indicating how one uses the -o command line option is not clear (the apt-get manpage should definately have at least one example of that options use), then that is annother wishlist bug, but may be worth merging in with the previous one.