Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

On 28/02/08 at 11:36 +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> On 28/02/2008, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > 2) | * Inspire young developers to begin participating in open
> >    |   source development;
>
> > 3) | * Help open source projects identify and bring in new
> >    |   developers and committers;
>
> > 5) | * Give students more exposure to real-world software
> >    |   development scenarios (e.g., distributed development,
> >    |   software licensing questions, mailing-list etiquette).
>
> > Points 2,3 and 5 can be summarized as "goal of GSOC is get fresh
> > blood". Only point 1 is about "goal of GSOC is to get code written".
> > This is too ambiguous to conclude anything from it.
>
> No. 2) is about *development*. Development is not necessarily a part
> of the usual job of Debian packagers.

Remember that those goals apply to all participating organizations, not
only to Debian. I don't think (but I might be wrong) that (2) should be
read as:
  Inspire young developers to begin participating in open source
  development (as opposed to packaging, documentation, translation).
I think that "development" should be understood as something general.
In Debian, I think that packaging is usually considered "development".
Or many of us are "debian packagers", not "debian developers" :-)

> 5) is also about development.

Indeed, "more exposure" could be understood as "more exposure than they
currently have". But really, I'm not so sure that's the case.

> You also don't speak about 4) at all.

Because (4) doesn't seem relevant to the current discussion?

> > > Pointers? Ahah, no, you already said you haven't got any.
> >
> > It would be a good idea to ask jvm, ana, marga, tincho and lamby
> > about their opinion on that topic.
>
> Looks to me like the very first thing you should have done.

Who said I didn't? But maybe it was in private IRC discussions/mails.
And maybe I didn't talk to all of them about that neither, so I'm
biaised.

> > > Huh? You know about libre arbitre, right? If people apply to GSOC,
> > > their choice. I really don't know why you would forbid them to
> > > apply. So that they keep doing the dirty job before a release?
> >
> > Gah, you discovered my evil plans :-)
>
> I don't find that funny. At all.

I understand that you are frustrated by the current state of DAM (Cyril
has been waiting for DAM to review his application for more than 3
months). I am, too (in fact, I think that our inability to give accounts
to some of our most active contributors is one of the biggest problem in
Debian currently). But please don't let this reflect too badly on your
state of mind. I think that your tone in some mails of this thread has
been unnecessarily agressive.