Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

On 27/02/08 at 00:42 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Google are running their Summer of Code programme again this year[1],
> and if we want to take part again we need to apply between March 3rd
> and March 12th. If we're accepted as a mentoring organisation, then
> students will be able to apply to work with us up until the 1st
> April. [2]

Hi,

I have had a problem with the way GSOC was handled in Debian in the past
years.

Many of the students that were selected were already well-known Debian
contributors or developers. The first problem with that is that some of
those students used their GSOC time to work on their usual Debian tasks
instead of their GSOC project, leading to disapointing results,
unsuccessful projects, less projects being accepted the next year, etc.
The other problem is that some Debian developers who could have applied
as well didn't, because they thought that GSOC was only for new
contributors.

I think that GSOC is a great opportunity to get fresh blood inside
Debian, and that we should use it for that, not to get funding for usual
Debian work. We should have a policy of not allowing existing Debian
developers to apply as students. If DDs want to use GSOC to get some
work done inside Debian, they could become mentors instead.

However, I'm not sure that many DDs agree with this, so maybe we should
just aim for *clarification*. So any of the three following solutions
would work for me:

(1) Forbid DDs and people in the NM process waiting for FD/DAM to apply
as students.

(2) Make it crystal clear (through a mail to d-d-a) that DDs that are
otherwise eligible can apply as well.

(3) Compromise: allow current contributors to apply, but, when
classifying applications, do it like that:

   1. Application from outsider
   2. Application from current contributor
   3. Application from outsider
   4. Application from current contributor