Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 02:09:29PM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > And to answer the original question, sure, quilt can handle it; as well as
> > any patch management system can handle the fact that the things you're
> > applying the patches against are external to the VCS and require rain dances
> > of one sort or another to facilitate patch editing.
>
> http://www.wgdd.de/?p=25 is some sort of "rain dance"? Oh well, are you
> kidding me? All I want to know is, if quilt can do the same. Then I will
> give it a try. If it cannot handle this design, well then it's not an
> alternative for me. Why should I mirror the upstream VCS and blow up
> svn.d.o or my own VCS servers?

That link is fairly complicated in comparison to any scheme I've ever used,
so yes, I'd personally say that Steve's characterization is accurate. Many
of us just have to clone/checkout the sources as you would any other and
start working.

At any rate, the quilt scripting does not have any special hooks to grab
external .orig.tar.gz's. This should be trivial to script if you really
want it, but doesn't svn-buildpackage or whatever it is people are using
these days to do this sort of thing provide a way to get it anyhow?  Why do
you need quilt to do it for you?

 - David Nusinow