Re: How to cope with patches sanely (Was: State of the project - input needed)

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 09:59:00AM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
>   For one, I'm not sure the "situation" is that horrible. Second, I
> believe joeyh's proposal to be able to use some DSCM features to replace
> the old diff.gz is an excellent proposal

Full ack!

> OTOH, you will have a lot of people complaining about having to use
> git (for his proposal) or $DSCM.

Right, but Debian has always been a do-ocracy, and we do have (kudos to
joeyh) an implementation of dpkg with support for .git.gz, haven't we?
I haven't tried it by myself dpkg+git but I presume the quality is as
high as many other pieces of joeyh's software. So, can't we just
*upload* a dpkg version which support .git.gz and start playing with it?
(I know several other pieces of the infrastructure will then need to be
patch before being able to use it in the archive, but let's start
wetting our appetite and see how it goes.)

Pretty please, just keep good innovations running!

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/