Re: Why no Opera?

Felipe Sateler <fsateler@gmail.com> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > Again, I don't see what's preventing people from using [other web
> > browser] software if they want to.
>
> Maybe a significant amount of sites that only work with IE
> (unavailable on linux, at least without wine) or Firefox?

If that's still true, I don't see it. I surf with my User-Agent set to
an informative string that, if read, encourages the reader to observe
W3C standards and stop obsessing over User-Agent [0]. In other words,
the site has no idea which web browser I'm using.

In the last five years, surfing countless thousands of pages, I've
encountered maybe a dozen that refused to work with an unknown
browser. In the last two years, I can't recall *any* sites that did
so. No doubt they exist, but IME, it's far from "a significant
amount".

If the pages don't *render* properly in non-mainstream browsers,
that's merely a bug to be fixed, and doesn't speak to a monoculture.

[0] <URL:http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/agent.html>

--
 \     "Our task must be to free ourselves from our prison by widening |
  `\    our circle of compassion to embrace all humanity and the whole |