Re: Why no Opera?

Juliusz Chroboczek <Juliusz.Chroboczek@pps.jussieu.fr> writes:

> > + Firefox developers should all know what to compete against, free
> > closed source programs are a means to communicate concepts and
> > benchmarks between developers

(no, Juliusz didn't write this. Please retain correct attribution
lines on quoted text so we can follow the message.)

> I think this is a very important point.
>
> The Firefox monoculture is doing a lot of harm to our community.

I wasn't aware that Konqueror, Netsurf, or the many other non-Firefox
browsers had suddenly become unavailable in our community. There
doesn't appear to be any mandate to use one specific web browser
either. So, I don't know what "monoculture" you're referring to.

> Just like Linux learnt a lot from SunOS, GCC benefited from the
> competition from ICC, Firefox will benefit from the competition with
> other players in the same niche.

Again, I don't see what's preventing people from using that software
if they want to.

> I won't use it, but I'll be glad to see Opera in Debian.

Since the only way it can be in Debian is if it's free software, I'll
be glad to see that too.

--
 \       "[On the Internet,] power and control will shift to those who |
  `\       are actually contributing something useful rather than just |