Re: Why no Opera?

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:19:28 +0100, David Given <dg@cowlark.com> said:

> Ben Finney wrote: [...]
>> It would behoove you to at least put significant effort into what
>> everyone here agrees would be the best way to get Opera working well
>> with Debian and other free software operating systems.

> Mmf.

> I'd take issue with that statement. Opera don't owe Debian anything;

        And, of course, vice-versa.

> they're packaging their software as Debian packages for their users,
> not for us. If anything, they're doing us a favour by using our
> package format.

        I would take exception to this statement.  I don't owe non-free
 software developers any favours  just because they are leveraging our
 standards and package formats.  Indeed, restricting the freedom of our
 users by preveinting them from improving tools our users like to use,
 they are also doing our users a disservice.

        While I accept our users do things like run non-free software, I
 do not see this as beig beneficial to our users -- but then, I don't
 try to hinder people eating  artery hardening fast food either, despite
 what impact it has on the services my medical facility can provide to
 me after the expenses of all the heart attack patients they get.

> That's their right. It's their software, they own it, they can do
> whatever they like with it. *We* get no say in that matter.

        We get to say whatever we want to on _our_ mailing lists, run on
 _our_ facilities, as long as we follow _our_ rules and codes of
 conduct.

> So they're not behoven to do *anything* other than what they want to
> do. We can offer suggestions, but that's all they are.

        And opinions. If in our opinion, they are well  behooved to do
 something, we can say so.  They, of course, have no obligation to agree
 with out assessment, or to follow our suggestions.

> I'd suggest that because it strongly benefits us if Opera continues to
> listen to our suggestions, it would not be a good idea not to attempt
> to throw our weight around --- we don't have any...

        I think Opera, being closed source, harms us as a community, so
 I also take exception to this remark.

        manoj
 trident free software geek
--
"It's real handy, havin' an Elder God in the band, eh?" Post Brothers
comics