Re: Is there a way to positively, uniquely identify which Debian release a program is running on?

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 09:37:58AM -0400, Kris Deugau wrote:
> ... by making reasonable assumptions about what is on the system based
> on a standard install of $version of $distribution.

Well too many seem to assume that you are running some version of
redhat, and that redhat equals linux and there are no reasons to
consider anything else.

> Asking enterprise vendors to support your (customised, hacked-up,
> non-standard) OS install is, um, unlikely.  Unless you're paying them
> enough for them to completely mirror your environment in the dev lab and
> certify their product on *your* particular combination of software.  (Of
> course, most people running mixed-version Debian systems are unlikely to
> be buying enterprise software like Oracle.  <g>)

Sure.  If I say I run debian sarge, and I install the .deb for debian
sarge, it should work, unless I have mixed in stuff that isn't part of
sarge, in which case that would be my problem.  So yes as long as they
provide a proper .deb targeted at sarge, that would be fine.  Of course
Etch would be more interesting than Sarge by now.

> (This is drifting off from my original question:  what simple test(s)
> for uniqueness can I use to determine which version of which
> distribution I'm on?   FWIW, it seems that for my purposes, the contents
> of /etc/debian_version and the full version+release string from the
> base-files package are sufficiently unique.)

Certainly the /etc/debian_version is what I would rely on.

--
Len Sorensen