Re: Is there a way to positively, uniquely identify which Debian release a program is running on?

On 05-Jun-07, 08:37 (CDT), Kris Deugau <kdeugau@vianet.ca> wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > For the kind of cash the enterprise vendors tend to charge, yes actually
> > now that you ask, I think I can expect them to figure out dependancies
> > and making proper packages.
>
> ... by making reasonable assumptions about what is on the system based
> on a standard install of $version of $distribution.
>
> Asking enterprise vendors to support your (customised, hacked-up,
> non-standard) OS install is, um, unlikely.

No, I'd ask them to build correct packages for the current stable
version, e.g. etch. If they've got their dependencies correct, I should
be able to install packages from other releases without too much
anguish.

Of course, if I have problem, I shouldn't be surprised to hear "we can't
duplicate it on our pure etch system..."

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net