Re: Is there a way to positively, uniquely identify which Debian release a program is running on?

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 11:16:08PM +0200, Javier Fern?ndez-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
> Think about Enterprise (non-free) software like Oracle, HP Openview, Tivoli,
> Remedy... Do you expect vendors of this software to understand^Wimplement
> package management based dependencies for *all* Linux distributions?
> LSB tries to simplify the Linux environment for such software. Lsb_release
> is defined as the an answer to the question "which distribution am I running
> in and which release is it?"

For the kind of cash the enterprise vendors tend to charge, yes actually
now that you ask, I think I can expect them to figure out dependancies
and making proper packages.  Opera seems to manage, and they are giving
away their non-free software for free.  Managing to package and test
your code on most major distributions is actually a good way to ensure
the programmers didn't go do something stupid that is going to cause
problems later.

--
Len Sorensen