Re: Is there a way to positively, uniquely identify which Debian release a program is running on?

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> For the kind of cash the enterprise vendors tend to charge, yes actually
> now that you ask, I think I can expect them to figure out dependancies
> and making proper packages.

... by making reasonable assumptions about what is on the system based
on a standard install of $version of $distribution.

Asking enterprise vendors to support your (customised, hacked-up,
non-standard) OS install is, um, unlikely.  Unless you're paying them
enough for them to completely mirror your environment in the dev lab and
certify their product on *your* particular combination of software.  (Of
course, most people running mixed-version Debian systems are unlikely to
be buying enterprise software like Oracle.  <g>)

(This is drifting off from my original question:  what simple test(s)
for uniqueness can I use to determine which version of which
distribution I'm on?   FWIW, it seems that for my purposes, the contents
of /etc/debian_version and the full version+release string from the
base-files package are sufficiently unique.)

-kgd